11 Best Airtight Pantry Storage Containers for Dry Food
After comparing the top products on the market for overall quality, consumer feedback and performance, we recommend the OXO Good Grips Airtight Set for most families’ dry storage needs.
Have you ever tried storing food in a container and it ended up being spoiled?
Ever brought lunch to work and it got all messed up in your bag because the lid accidentally opened? Or have you ever used a top vegetable chopper, only to find that the next day your freshly cut veggies are dried up and stale because they weren’t stored properly?
Looking for a way to keep cereals, coffee, sugar, flour, and other kitchen staples in such a way that it will get rid of moisture and air, among other external elements that can affect its quality?
If you say YES to any of these questions, you definitely need to have the best airtight containers, including those that we will mention briefly in the rest of this post.
With the right container, you can retain the freshness of your food, making sure that air will not penetrate. It is a multipurpose kitchen tool!
Table of Contents
- What are the Uses of an Airtight Container?
- Why Should You Use Airtight Containers?
- What are the Best Materials for an Airtight Container?
- How to Choose the Best Airtight Containers
- How to Keep Food in Airtight Containers Fresh
- Our Top Picks for the Best Airtight Containers
- 1. OXO Good Grips 10-Piece Airtight Food Storage POP Container Value Set
- 2. Rubbermaid Brilliance Pantry Container Set
- 3. Zeppoli Air-Tight Food Storage Container Set
- 4. EVAK Best Premium Airtight Storage Containers
- 5. OXO Good Grips Pop Container
- 6. Oggi 9322 5-piece Acrylic Canister Set
- 7. Bellemain 4-piece Airtight Acrylic Canister Set
- 8. Dragonn 10-piece Airtight Food Storage Container Set
- 9. Shazo Airtight Container Set
- 10. Tightvac Multi-use Vacuum Seal Storage Container
- 11. Tupperware One-Touch Reminder 4-piece Canister Set
What are the Uses of an Airtight Container?
Not convinced that you need to have an airtight container? Here are some of their most common uses, which will provide you with good reasons to own one:
- Bring Foods out of Home: One of the good things about an airtight container is that it allows you to pack your food and bring it to the office, campsite, or wherever you are going. Even if it has sauce, it will not spill on your bag.
- Store Kitchen Essentials: Whether it is flour, sugar, salt, pepper, cereals, coffee, creamer, or whatever you need to keep in the kitchen or pantry, airtight containers are great. They offer protection from moisture, insects, and air, among other things, and are perfect for pantry organization.
- Refrigerate Food: If you want your food to last longer in the fridge, these containers will also be great. If you have half-cooked meals, these containers will also be great, especially those that are also microwave-safe.
- Space-Efficient Storage: This is the case with stackable airtight containers. You can put them on the top of each other, which will make it perfect even for small spaces.
Why Should You Use Airtight Containers?
Airtight containers are not only multi-purpose. They can also offer a number of benefits, including those that are listed below:
- Allows Food to Stay Fresh: This is perhaps the best thing about airtight containers. They keep air and moisture out of the food, making them last longer, especially if you refrigerate them afterward. It allows critters and ants, among others, to stay out.
- Become Eco-Friendly: This is a benefit that will be yielded if you usually make food to eat in the office or your camping trips. Instead of packing them in single-use containers, look for reusable airtight containers.
- Prevent Spillage: A lot of people are afraid to pack foods to eat in the office because of the fear that it will spill in their bags. If there is an airtight seal, however, you can be confident that liquids will not leak.
- Be Organized: Using airtight containers is also a good idea because it will make you more organized and keep the kitchen clean. Instead of having boxes of cereals, coffee, and other kitchen essentials, you can keep them in jars with a uniform design for a seamless look. Many of these containers are also stackable.
What are the Best Materials for an Airtight Container?
When you are looking for an airtight container, one of the first things that you need to take into consideration is the main material that is used. That being said, this section will briefly look at some of the most common materials that you will find on the market.
- Glass: One of the best things about glass is that it is not prone to stains and odor, which will help to keep the freshness of the food that you will store. The FDA categorizes glass as GRAS or generally recognized as safe.
- Plastic: This is a favorite for most people because it is lightweight, making it great for to-go lunches or meal preps. However, it can contain a toxic chemical known as BPA. With this, be sure to choose one that is labeled as BPA-free plastic.
- Acrylic: This is actually not a separate category of material, but it falls under the types of plastic. It is a glass-like material, which makes it great in terms of durability.
- Stainless Steel: If durability is what you are looking for, this is another option that can be great. However, it is not as popular as plastic. This material is also more expensive.
How to Choose the Best Airtight Containers
Before we list down some of the top options that you can find on the market, here are some of the most important things that you have to consider:
- Size: Do you need a small or large container? This is one question that you need to answer. If it is for packing food or meal prep, a small one will be enough. On the other hand, if it is for keeping rice, you may need a larger one. The size of the kitchen or the cabinet will also be an essential consideration in determining the right size.
- Lid: Obviously, the lid needs to be airtight. Aside from this, it should also be easy to open and close, even with just a single hand. Some are designed with a button-like mechanism that will immediately create an airtight seal upon pushing.
- Transparency: As much as possible, although this will vary on personal preferences, look for an airtight container that comes with a transparent body. This will make it easy to monitor how much of an item is still left and will let you know if there is a need to have it refilled.
- Durability: This will depend on the material that is used in the airtight container. If you want it to last longer, look for a material that is chip-resistant and shatter-proof.
- Odor-Resistance: This is one reason why a lot of people prefer glass. There are advanced glass containers, however, which are already capable of resisting odor. By being odor-resistant, the flavor and aroma of your food will not be affected.
- Microwave-Safe: This will be a great feature of the airtight container if you intend to use it for food prep. You can pull it out of the fridge and heat it immediately in the microwave. There is no need to transfer it to a new container if it is already microwave-safe.
- Ease of Cleaning: To prolong the functional life of the airtight container, you need to make sure that it is easy to clean and maintain. It will also be good if it can resist stain so that there is no need to exert too much effort in cleaning it. You should also look for an airtight container that is also dishwasher-safe.
- Design: This is one thing that most people tend to ignore. From the color to the shape to the overall look of the airtight container, such is an important consideration so that it will look good in the kitchen. If it is stylish, there is no need to hide it in the cabinet.
- Reviews: If you want validation that a product is indeed worth your money, you have to go online and search for reviews from real users. Through the personal experiences that they share online, it will be easier to decide which one is best.
How to Keep Food in Airtight Containers Fresh
Aside from using the right container that can keep air out, here are other things that you need to do to maintain the freshness of the food:
- Store food in a cool and dry place. It should be kept away from any direct sources of heat, such as sun and power-hungry appliances. It would be best to keep it in the cabinet or any part of the kitchen without heat exposure.
- For food that has just been cooked, give it some time to cool down before covering it with lid. Otherwise, it could easily spoil.
- If you are keeping the airtight containers in the fridge, the right temperature is also important for the freshness of the food. For the refrigerator, the temperature should not be below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. For the freezer, it should be at least 0-degree Fahrenheit.
- If you are thinking of cooking pasta and storing it in an airtight container, the noodles should be separate from the sauce. If you intend to bring a salad in the office, on the other hand, the dressing should also be separate.
Our Top Picks for the Best Airtight Containers
To make it easier for you to decide which one will make the best choice, here is a rundown of some of the products that are guaranteed to offer excellent value for the money!
1. OXO Good Grips 10-Piece Airtight Food Storage POP Container Value Set
There are basic airtight containers, and then there are airtight containers from OXO Good Grips.
This is our Editor’s Choice for a reason: the 10-piece set offers above-average airtight storage and protection for pantries and foods of all sizes.
The set contains a 4-quart container, a 2.5-quart container and 8 other smaller, modular containers that stack perfectly, no matter how big or small your pantry is.
Instead of a basic lid-and-container setup, these containers have a “push button” feature that creates an airtight seal when pressed, and is then released when pressed again.
This is one of the highest-rated container sets on Amazon, with many customers noting that the set is “worth the money,” and offers better airtight protection compared to cheaper alternatives.
Buying the set will save you about 20% from OXO’s normal prices, and with 10 pieces, you can stack, organize and rearrange your foods to fit just about any layout or storage space.
They work well for large pantries, but many users who live in small apartments or studios find them particularly useful to organize small pantries where it’s more important to maximize shelf space.
The rounded corners and modular shapes are easy to clean after use, and they’re designed to pour foods like sugar and flour with ease.
The set is BPA-free plastic that’s dishwasher safe and extremely durable.
Some customers note that they use the containers to keep ants and roaches out, so if insect protection is your main concern, the OXO set has you covered.
2. Rubbermaid Brilliance Pantry Container Set
For a more basic snap-tight lid set, consider the Brilliance Pantry set from Rubbermaid.
A 20-piece set costs less than half of the OXO set above, but offers similar protection against moisture and humidity.
It’s also one of the highest-rated container sets on Amazon, and users enjoy the set because of its ease of use and practicality.
There’s no press-button feature to create an airtight seal, but it does offer lids that snap down extremely tight and offer a similar seal of protection.
The containers have thick, durable walls and dishwasher safe pieces that are easy to clean manually as well.
If you’re not looking to drop close to $100 for an airtight container set, this basic set from Rubbermaid will get the job done at about half the cost.
3. Zeppoli Air-Tight Food Storage Container Set
This Zeppoli airtight set is already inclusive of five containers of different sizes, making it a must-have in the kitchen. It includes one 2-quart tall container, one 1.5-quart medium container, two .9-quart small containers, and one .35-quart mini container.
Each container in this set is made of BPA-free. They have undergone thorough tests to prove that they are indeed durable. The material is not only long-lasting, but it will also be effortless to clean.
They have an innovation known as a lid-lock mechanism. With the latter, once you push the ring that surrounds the lid, it will immediately create an airtight seal. When you pop the ring back, on the other and, it transforms into a ring holder.
It also offers great versatility. It is not only for solids but also for liquids. It is designed with rounded corner, which makes pouring easier. Another thing that makes it versatile is that it comes with a stackable design. Also, it has a clear plastic and black lid, making it an elegant addition to any pantry or kitchen.
4. EVAK Best Premium Airtight Storage Containers
These containers from EVAK come in a set of three stylish containers, which will double as a decorative piece in the kitchen. The container is made of clear borosilicate glass while the handle is a glossy stainless steel.
The intuitive design of the container is one of its greatest assets. It has a patented technology that sets it apart from many others. Once you push down the lid, it will automatically create a tight seal that will prevent air from getting in. The lid will act as a plunger.
One thing that makes this three-piece set good for food items is that it is odor and stain-free. You can be sure that food will remain fresh when it is stored in this container.
Lastly, to further convince you that this will be an exceptional pick, it will also be good to know that the manufacturer is a recipient of numerous global awards and recognitions, which serve as a proof to the superior quality of their products.
5. OXO Good Grips Pop Container
This one-piece airtight container is large enough to hold up to a one-pound bag of your favorite coffee beans. It is perfect for storing dry goods in the kitchen, including flour, chips, rice, and cereals, among others.
The design of the product is one thing that makes it an excellent choice. On the top of the lid, there is a push button. When you push it once, it will automatically create an airtight seal. If you push it again, the lid will be released and you can now open it.
In terms of construction, the body is made of BPA-free plastic, which is also known for its durability. The lid, on the other hand, has silicone snaps that prevent the penetration of air. It also has rounded corners, which will make pouring easy. Given the materials that are used in this container, it is also great in terms of ease of cleaning.
6. Oggi 9322 5-piece Acrylic Canister Set
Whether it is for flour, spices, cookies, candies, chocolates, or other staples, these containers can provide the perfect choice. The 5-piece set is available in different sizes – two 26-ounce canisters and one each of 22, 51, and 65-ounce canisters. Each container comes with a silicone gasket that will prevent air from reaching the interior.
To seal the canister, each container is equipped with a clamp. All that you have to do is to pull the clamp to open the lid.
Ease of care and maintenance is one more thing that we liked the most in this set. All that you need to do is to clean it with a damp cloth.
The canister is made of clear acrylic. They are lightweight, yet the durability is not compromised in any way. It is a break-resistant material.
7. Bellemain 4-piece Airtight Acrylic Canister Set
Similar to the set that has been mentioned above, it is also made of clear acrylic. This transparent and high-grade material will provide you with the confidence that it is going to be long-lasting.
More than the toughness of the shatter-proof material, it is also BPA-free. There are no chemicals that can leach into the food and put your health at risk.
The metal clamps that are included in the container is also a great thing. They are made to be user-friendly. It has a shape that makes it easy to pull and push. When the clamp is pushed, the silicone ring that surrounds the lid creates a tight seal so that air will not penetrate.
This set of airtight containers comes in a set of four – 65, 51, 22, and 22 ounces.
8. Dragonn 10-piece Airtight Food Storage Container Set
Whether you need a small or big container, this set has what you are looking for. It has ten containers that are available in a range of sizes to suit whatever you plan to store in it. It also comes with a stackable design, making it great if you are on the lookout for space-efficiency.
It is inclusive of one .5-liter small square container, two .8-liter small square container, one 1-liter small square container, one 1.2-liter medium square container, one 1.7-liter medium square container, one 3.1-liter large square container, two 1.5-liter medium rectangle containers, and one 3.2-liter large rectangle containers.
Each container has a crystal clear body with a white cover. The airtight lids become immediately activated with a push of a button, which also doubles as the handle.
9. Shazo Airtight Container Set
With this set, you will have seven containers in different sizes, perfect for storing different items in the kitchen. There is one 8-cup container, two 6-cup containers, 2 3.6-cup containers, and two 1.4-cup containers.
Whether you are going to store dry foods or liquids, the containers will offer the protection that is needed to retain freshness. The airtight technology means that liquids will not spill, regardless if you turn the container upside down. They also have rounded edges, which will make it easy to pour whatever is inside the container.
As a bonus, the set is also inclusive of 18 labels so that you can easily put a name based on the contents of the container. There is also a liquid chalk for marking the labels.
Lastly, it also has a stackable design, which will be great in terms of space efficiency.
10. Tightvac Multi-use Vacuum Seal Storage Container
If you are looking for an airtight container that is affordable and portable, this is one option that should be on the top of the list of your choices. When you are using it for dry goods, it can keep as much as six ounces. Because of its size, this is perfect for people on-the-go, especially for campers.
One of the most notable features of the product is its ability to provide a vacuum seal, a patented innovation that keeps air out of the interior. It keeps food dry and fresh for an extended period of time.
The airtight container is not only made for food. It is multi-use. This makes a great choice even for a small humidor for your favorite cigars.
Based on the details from the manufacturer, keeping the refrigerated items in the container will make refrigerated items last two times longer. For dry goods, on the other hand, they can last up to one year.
11. Tupperware One-Touch Reminder 4-piece Canister Set
Made by one of the classic brands when it comes to food storage, this set is inclusive of four containers with varying sizes – 5-cup, 8-cup, 12-cup, and 17.5-cup. Each canister has a white body and a red lid.
Although this airtight container set does not come with a clear body, it has a transparent viewing button at the bottom, which will make it easy to monitor how much content is left inside. You will always know when you are already running low and when there is a need for a refill.
To make the containers easy to clean, they are also dishwasher-safe.
The best airtight containers can be useful in more ways than one. Whether it is in the cabinet or refrigerator, it protects food items from air and moisture, prolonging its freshness. If you bring foods at work or in your outdoor adventures, these containers will also be a perfect choice.
To avoid frustrations and to enjoy the best bang for the buck, keep an eye on the products that have been mentioned above, and for sure, you will not have regrets!