The 8 Best Rotary Cheese Grater Reviews in 2021
Cheese is delicious. Cheese is expensive. Cheese is delicate. With all of these things, it should be apparent by now that you need to handle cheese meticulously so that it won’t crumble into pieces.
For the best way to prepare and enjoy cheese, you need to invest in the right kitchen tool. Among others, one that you will surely appreciate having is the best rotary cheese grater.
Being around since the 1950s, cheese graters have evolved in more ways than one. They have been more advanced, promising better outcomes. With this, it becomes more important to be careful about what you will buy.
Clueless on which to purchase? The rest of this guide has got you covered. Keep on reading and learn from the insights that we will be sharing in the rest of this post.
Table of Contents
- What is a Rotary Cheese Grater
- What Makes A Rotary Cheese Grater Different
- What are the Other Uses of a Rotary Cheese Grater
- How to Choose the Best Rotary Cheese Grater
- How to Keep the Blades Sharp
- Best Rotary Cheese Grater Reviews
What is a Rotary Cheese Grater
There are several options when looking for a cheese grater. For instance, one of the most common and vintage is the boxed cheese grater, which usually has up to four sides. You put it on the table top, hold the top part, and grate cheese on the side. It can take quite an effort.
If you want a simpler alternative, this is where the rotary cheese grater enters the picture. It is quick, simple, and almost effortless to use, making it the perfect choice if you have to perform a lot of grating. There is a drum where you have to place the cheese. Once it is in, close the lid and turn on the handle to grate the cheese. The rotary action pushes the cheese through the blades.
What Makes A Rotary Cheese Grater Different
As it has been mentioned above, the biggest difference is with regards to the mechanism at which they work. In a conventional grater, your hand needs to exert more effort. A conventional grater is a block of steel with sharp teeth where you will grind the cheese. This is as against a rotary grater wherein there is a drum wherein you will put the cheese and a handle that you have to turn to get started with the grating.
A rotary cheese grater is a good way to save time and exert less effort when grating cheese. It also does not create too much mess as you can direct the grated cheese straight to a container.
What are the Other Uses of a Rotary Cheese Grater
Just because it is called a rotary cheese grater does not mean that its use is exclusive to cheese. In fact, one of the reasons why it is well-loved by many is its versatility, making it an excellent tool to have in the kitchen. Whether you are a novice or a pro chef, you can be creative in its uses.
A rotary cheese grater can also be used for chocolates, carrot, zucchini, cucumber, peanuts, almond, pistachio, onion, garlic, potato, ginger, and lemon zest, among others. Basically, you can put in the drum anything that you want to grate as long as it will fit!
How to Choose the Best Rotary Cheese Grater
To make it easier for you to weigh the pros and cons of the possible choices, here are some of the most important things that you need to take into account:
- Size: According to Cook’s Illustrated, the size of the barrel is the most important factor that you have to consider. If it has a larger diameter, it will work faster. This also means that you can put in more cheese and grate quickly.
- Durability: Evaluate the overall construction and the materials of the cheese grater. Stainless steel is the common choice of material for the drum or barrel. The body, on the other hand, is usually made of ABS plastic or metal.
- Blades: The quality of the blade is important because of the effect on the quality of the grated cheese that you will produce. It should be razor-sharp and should also be able to resist rust or corrosion.
- Comfort: The handle is one of the most important parts of the rotary cheese grater. It should have an ergonomic design and should also be non-slip, which will provide an assurance of your comfort when you are grating.
- Ease of Cleaning: The parts should be removable so that they will be easy to clean and maintain. To add, you should also look for one that is dishwasher-safe.
- Design: Do you want a modern or vintage appeal? Look at the style of the cheese grater as you compare the choices. This way, you won’t feel the need to keep them inside the cabinet when they can add up to the appeal of the kitchen.
- Warranty: Similar to the case of other kitchen tools, the basic warranty for a rotary cheese grater is one year, although there are some companies offering more. As always, a more extensive warranty coverage is always better.
- Satisfaction-Guarantee: This is another thing that will provide you with peace of mind on the purchase that you will make. Within a specified duration, it will be good if you can return the product if you are unhappy in any way. In turn, the manufacturer must provide an unconditional refund or replacement.
How to Keep the Blades Sharp
When it comes to the care and maintenance of the rotary cheese grater, one part that deserves your attention is the blade. Aside from making sure that it does not rust or corrode, you should also see to it that it remains sharp. This can be possible by keeping these things in mind:
- Clean the grater as soon as you are finished. Do not leave it with cheese on the holes as they can get stuck and will be harder to remove.
- When cleaning the grater, it is best to use a toothbrush with soft bristle, which will make sure that you will be able to remove any particle that could possibly be stuck on the smallest holes.
- It would also be best if you hand wash the drums or the barrels. When in the dishwasher, they can clash with other items and this can affect the sharpness of the blade.
Best Rotary Cheese Grater Reviews
Here are some of the brands and models that will surely be worth your money, as well as the things that we loved in each of them.
1. ZYLISS Classic Rotary Cheese Grater
One of the top-rated products that you can find online, a notable feature of this model is the stainless steel drum, which can easily accommodate even harder cheeses. The housing, on the other hand, is made of a sturdy plastic. This is the same grater that you can see being used at Olive Garden brought to your table when serving cheese.
On the side, there is an ergonomic handle that will be easy for you to hold and turn when it is time to grate the cheese.
It also comes with removable parts, which will make cleaning and maintenance a lot easier. These parts are also dishwasher-safe.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a 5-year guarantee, which should be enough to make you confident about the quality of the product.
2. Kuuk Drum Rotary Grater
More than just for grating cheese, you can also use this for potatoes, onions, and nuts, among others, making it a versatile tool to have in the kitchen.
With the simple hand-crank mechanism, all that you have to do is to turn the handle manually and it will instantly grate your cheese.
There are two drums with razor-shaped blades, which can be interchanged depending on the grates that you want. These drums are made of stainless steel, a material that has gained a reputation for its longevity.
3. OXO Good Grips Seal and Store Rotary Cheese Grater
With the large barrel of this grater, it will be able to easily accommodate even a large block of cheese. Inside the barrel, there are bi-directional blades that are made of stainless steel. There is also an additional cap at the bottom, which will collect the grated cheese before it is served or used.
The handle has an ergonomic design, allowing you to hold easily. There is also an easy adjustment that can be made to make it suitable for left or right-handed users.
To add, it comes with a silicone seal. You can keep the cheese inside and keep it in the fridge without worrying that the freshness will be negatively affected.
4. Westmark Multipurpose Heavy-Duty Grater
The ultimate in versatility – this is what you can expect from this restaurant-quality rotary cheese grater. It comes with three stainless steel blade discs that are interchangeable based on the grates that you would like to achieve.
You will also love the suction rubber base of the grater, which will keep it stable and prevent it from slipping, regardless of the force that is applied to the handle.
There is also an ergonomic ABS handle, which will be effortless and comfortable for you to turn.
Lastly, to provide you with complete peace of mind, this product comes with a limited five-year warranty from the manufacturer.
5. IKEA Stralande Rotary Grater
This is a handy and multipurpose tool that you will surely love to have in the kitchen because of its abundance of uses, not just for grating cheese.
One thing to love about this product is the ambidextrous design. Whether you are right or left-handed, you will be able to grate with ease.
The grating attachment is also removable and dishwasher-safe. You will be able to create fine or coarse grates depending on what is inside.
6. Orecchi Rotary Cheese Grater
With this multipurpose grater, it does not matter what kind of cheese you have. You can use it in both hard and soft cheeses, whether it is parmesan or cheddar. You can also use it for nuts, chocolates, and pistachios, among others.
The drums are made of high-quality stainless steel and equipped with razor-sharp blades. The handle and other parts are made of ABS plastic, which is also BPA-free, so there is no need to worry about food safety. These are not only durable materials but also easy to clean.
There is also a safety hand guard, which will prevent you from accidentally cutting your finger.
If you are unhappy with your purchase within 90 days, you can have it returned and they will issue an unconditional refund.
7. KitchenAid Rotary Grater
The mere fact that this is made by one of the most popular brands of kitchen tools can already provide you with peace of mind about its quality.
The grater has a stainless steel blade. The rest of the body, on the other hand, is ABS plastic, similar to most of the options that are mentioned in this guide. This material is impact-resistant. It is also dishwasher-safe, making it easy to clean and maintain.
Lastly, to easily convince you to have it chosen, take note that it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Plus, in one year, if it becomes defective, the manufacturer can offer a replacement. This means that you can purchase without any risk!
8. LOVKITCHEN Rotary Cheese Grater
If a metal cheese grater is what you want, this should be on the top of your list. The best thing about this model is that it is multipurpose since it comes with three rotary drums, each made of stainless steel. You can interchange the blades depending on the grating outcome that you prefer.
This is also excellent in terms of being user-friendly. All that you have to do is to lift the head, insert the cheese, turn the chamber, and wait until the cheese is grated.
There you have it! We hope that at this point, you will find it easier to decide which is the best rotary cheese grater on the market. The products mentioned in this post are all exceptional. They can deliver quality and performance that will surely be hard to match by any other product that you will be confronted with.