The 7 Best Cheese Slicer Reviews in 2021
Cutting cheese is an art that not a lot of us can master. If you have once tried slicing cheese and it ended up crumbling, you are not alone in such frustration!
Fortunately, with the best cheese slicer, things will be a lot easier on your end. If you think that you can use just any kitchen knife, you are completely wrong! An ordinary knife does not come with a blade that is right for a cheese, especially if it is delicate.
In the rest of this post, we will let you know how you can choose the best, and most importantly, we will list down some of the best choices. There are tons of options available, but you should not see this as an excuse to buy just any slicer.
Table of Contents
- What are the Benefits of Cheese Slicer?
- What are the Types of Cheese Slicers?
- Tips for Slicing Cheese the Right Way
- Essential Considerations when Looking for Best Cheese Slicer
- Our Top Picks for the Best Cheese Slicer
What are the Benefits of Cheese Slicer?
If you are still not convinced that a cheese slicer is one of the best kitchen tools to have, here are some of its benefits that might make you look for one in an instant:
- Consistent Cuts: One of the best things about a cheese slicer is that the outcomes will be consistent. The thickness or thinness of the slices will be even.
- Presentable: If you have to display cheese slices in a store or in a buffet table, a slicer will be a good investment. This makes cheese look more appealing as it makes clean cuts.
- Save Time: Another good reason to use a cheese slicer is to save time, as well as effort. This is especially the case if you have to do the cheese cutting and slicing often.
What are the Types of Cheese Slicers?
As you start your search for the best cheese slicer, one of the first things that you have to know would be the different types that are available. By being familiar with these types, it will be easier to decide which one is most suitable for your needs.
- Cheese Plane: This type comes with a downward slicing blade with a sharp edge and a flat surface. The blade that slices the cheese looks like a plane, which is why it is named as such.
- Rolling Cheese Slicer: As the name implies, it comes with a roller that is attached to a parallel wire. The stainless steel wire is replaceable, so there is no need to worry even if you break it.
- Board Cheese Slicer: This is the biggest from the three and also the most elegant when it comes to appearance. It has a board as a base, usually made of wood, stainless steel, or marble. There is a handle and a wire. The board can also double as a serving plate for the cheese.
Tips for Slicing Cheese the Right Way
It helps to have the right slicer, but such is not enough. For the best cheese slices, here are some of the most important things that you have to keep in mind:
- Before using the cheese slicer, make sure that it is clean. Dirt, oil, and bacteria, among others, will negatively affect the quality of your cheese, specifically the taste.
- Pay attention to the type of cheese. Take note that different types of cheeses will require different slices. If you have a hard cheese, cut it lengthwise to form rectangular blocks. Triangular cheese should be cut rectangularly. For round cheese, start by cutting the whole cheese into a quarter then half.
- It will also be best to wait until the cheese reaches room temperature before you slice it. This way, it will become softer and slicing will be a lot easier.
- Cut slowly but surely. Follow a single and fluid motion.
Essential Considerations when Looking for Best Cheese Slicer
As you try to come up with a purchase decision, here are some of the most important things that you need to consider:
- Ease of Use: It is important to pick one that is as user-friendly as possible so that slicing cheese will not be a dreaded task. For instance, it should be lightweight, especially if you will use it frequently.
- Handle: This is one of the most important parts of the cheese slicer. Wood, plastic, and rubber are the common materials that are used. More than just the aesthetics, it also needs to have an ergonomic design do that you will not complain of discomfort. The handle should also be slip-resistant.
- Blade: If the cheese slicer has a blade, such as for the plane type, see to it that the blade remains sharp, which will allow it to glide smoothly on the different types of cheeses. It should also resist rust and corrosion.
- Wire: On the other hand, if you have a wire cutter cheese slicer, it should also be made of durable material, usually stainless steel. A good choice would be stainless steel, which is sharp enough to cut on many types of cheeses.
- Adjustability: It will also be good to choose one that will allow you to make adjustments on how thick or thin the slices will be. You must be able to adjust the cuts as preferred, which you can usually just do by changing the angle at which you slice.
- Safety: You also have to pay attention to the safety features of the cheese slicer. A non-slip handle is one of the best ways to make sure that you will slice the cheese and not cut your finger. If you have a cutting board cheese slicer, the bottom should have a rubber base so that it won’t slip.
- Ease of Cleaning: Care and maintenance of the cheese slicer should also be effortless on your end. Regardless of which one you choose, make sure that it is well-maintained so that you can expect its peak performance all the time.
- Durability: To enjoy the best value for money, see to it that it is made of durable and long-lasting materials. Even after years of use, the slicer should still deliver superior functionality.
- Warranty: The standard warranty offered by most manufacturers is one year. The best would be one that comes with a lifetime warranty against defects and breakage, which should provide you with peace of mind.
- Reviews: If you still find it hard to decide what cheese slicer is the best, you can go online and read reviews, such as this post. It will make it easier to narrow down the possibilities that you are confronted with.
Our Top Picks for the Best Cheese Slicer
If you have no idea what makes the best pick, here are some of the options that are worth taking into account.
1. Bellemain Adjustable Thickness Cheese Slicer
Kitchen tools do not need to be expensive to demonstrate exceptional quality. This is one product that proves such assertion.
With this wire cutter, you will have complete control of how it is used as it is adjustable. Even for paper-thin slices, you can do so in a manner that is almost effortless.
The one-piece solid construction is also a plus, which ensures its durability. The body is made of solid-case zinc alloy that delivers superior strength, guaranteeing its functionality for many years.
To provide even better value for money, even if it is affordable, the package is already inclusive of two cutting wires made of durable stainless steel.
This product is covered by a comprehensive one-year warranty from the manufacturer.
2. Westmark Germany Heavy-Duty Stainless Steel Wire Cheese Slicer
One of the best things about this cheese slicer is its price. It is one of the most affordable you can find, making it the perfect fit for budget-conscious buyers.
To be confident about the durability of this product, it is good to know that it is made in Germany and by a company that is known as one of the global leaders in kitchenware. The handle is made of cast aluminum while the roller and the wire are made of high-quality stainless steel.
This is an angle-adjustable cheeses slicer. All that you have to do is change the angle at which you hold the ergonomic handle to change the level of thickness at which it cuts.
Lastly, to provide you with peace of mind, the manufacturer is offering a five-year limited warranty. If you are not happy with the slicer, you will get an unconditional refund!
3. Norpro Heavy-Duty Adjustable Cheese Slicer
The handle and the blade of this cheese slicer are made of high-quality zinc alloy, which is excellent in terms of durability. They will last long without requiring too much care and maintenance on your end.
The cutting wire, on the other hand, is made of stainless steel. There is an extra wire included in the kit.
It is also user-friendly, making it easy for you to adjust the thinness or the thickness of the slices that will be made.
It is also compact and portable, which makes it easy to handle as well. It won’t consume too much space in the cabinet when it is not used.
4. Bjorklund Cheese Slicer
The simplicity of this cheese slicer is one thing that got our attention. It has no bells and whistles, which is also the reason why it is affordable and easy to use.
The part that slices the cheese is made of durable stainless steel. The handle, on the other hand, is a premium wood that provides excellent contrast. The wooden handle has a contoured shape so that it will be comfortable for you to hold.
This is a product made by a Norwegian company that has been around since 1925, providing you with the confidence that its quality will indeed be hard to match.
5. Kitchen Basix Cheese Plane and Slicer
Another impressive option that is budget-friendly, this plane and slicer will work on any type of cheeses. Whether it is cheddar or blue cheese, slicing will not require too much on your end.
The cheese plane is made of premium stainless steel, providing you with the confidence that it is going to withstand several years of use. It has a mirror-like and glossy finish that gives it an elegant look. It can also resist rust and stain.
The handle, on the other hand, is made of thick but soft rubber. It fits perfectly in your hand and will not cause any discomfort.
Lastly, it comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Purchasing this product is risk-free as you can get your money back if you are unhappy with it.
6. OXO Good Grips Wire Cheese Slicer
Whether it is for thick of thin cheeses, slicing with the use of this product will be a snap. The stainless steel wire is the one that is responsible for such. The wire can be conveniently positioned and there is also a tensioning wheel. With the latter, you can tighten or loosen the wire depending on what you prefer.
The main material that is used in this cheese slicer is die-cast zinc, which is both lightweight and durable.
The handle has an ergonomic design, making it easy and comfortable to hold.
There are also two replacement wires that are included in this set.
7. Prodyne 805B Cheese Slicer
The manner by which this works is different from the products that have been mentioned above. It has a board that is made of beechwood, which looks appealing. On the side, there is a slicing arm and a handle grip. The wire cutter, on the other hand, is made of stainless steel.
The non-slip base is also a plus. Regardless of the pressure that is exerted when cutting the cheese, you can be sure that the board will remain stable.
To make you convinced that this is an excellent choice for a cheese slicer, it comes with a lifetime warranty against breakage. This is more than enough to guarantee your satisfaction.
Now that you are done reading this buying guide and review, we hope that choosing the best cheese slicer becomes an easier task. Learn how to look beyond price. Instead of putting an emphasis on cost, look at the overall quality and performance of the product to end up with the right decision.